Events, News & More
Minutes from USNA AA KOR Chapter Luncheon November 7, 2018 Famous Dave’s, Knoxville TN
Members present: Sue and Larry Townsend ’69; Susie and Rich Cataldi ’69; Mitch Eisenberg ’99; Phyllis and Tom Baer ‘64; Harry Rucker ’73; Ed Whiting ’57; Kent Chastain ’61; Buddy Holt ’73; Brian Horais ’71; and Mark Kohring ’73
1. The USNA RV Chapter met at the Watts Bar 2018 Come Around (CA) October 23-28 at Hornsby Hollow campground in Ten Mile, TN. They had over 20 couples in attendance, The weather was perfect and the fellowship was 4.0. Special thanks to Jim Connors ’74 for coordinating this event. A short video on the CA is attached to the cover e-mail.
2. 2018 is coming to a close in a few short months which means it is time to think about our chapter officers for 2019. If you have an interest in serving as one of our officers, particularly the Vice President, please contact Rich Cataldi or Mark Kohring. The election will be at halftime of the Army-Navy football game party. As of the date of these minutes, the slate for 2019 is as follows: President – Mitch Eisenberg ’99 Vice President – TBD Secretary/Treasurer – Mark Kohring ’73 Networking Chairman – Rich Cataldi ’69 Trustees – Brian Horais ’71 and Rich Cataldi ’69
3. Navy midshipmen will be in Knoxville for OPSINFO the week before Thanksgiving. They will be at the Cedar Bluff library from 1830 to 1945 on Monday, November 19th. Contact Rich Cataldi if you know someone who may be interested in talking with a midshipman. There will be an opportunity for potential USNA candidates to meet with and question a current Midshipman at the Cedar Bluff Library on Monday, 19 November, from 6:30 PM to 7:45 PM.
4. Buddy Holt ’73 was introduced as a first timer. Buddy served in the Marine Corps following graduation. In his civilian career, he started working for Corning and later other dinnerware companies. Later in his career, he worked for Kohler which is an after dinnerware corporation. He recently moved to the area and lives in Tellico Village. Great to have you aboard, Buddy.
5. The Arm-Navy Football Game party will be held at the home of Ken Tarcza USMA ’81. We understand that Ken is new to the area and works for DOE. His home is off of Choto Road. The Woops are developing a flyer for this year’s event and it will be sent out as soon as it is received. The game is on Saturday, December 8th. Kickoff is at 1500.
6. Navy basketball will play Lipscomb University in Nashville at 1330 CST on Sunday, December 9th. Tickets are available at Lipscomb Basketball. $15 for reserved seats and $10 for general admission. $5 for children 12 and under. Lipscomb is the ASUN champion from the 2017-18 season.
7. Due to the annual Army-Navy football game party, there will not be a luncheon the first week in December. The next Knoxville-Oak Ridge chapter lunch will be at Famous Dave’s restaurant at the Cedar Bluff I-40 exit at 1130 on Wednesday, January 9, 2019. Note that this will be on the second Wednesday due to New Year’s Day week.
October Chapter Meeting
October 3, 2018 Calhoun’s, Knoxville TN
Members present: Sue and Larry Townsend ’69; Susie and Rich Cataldi ’69; Lee Dantzler ’68; Bob Milhiser ’64; Mitch Eisenberg ’99; Rudy Esher ’78; Harry Rucker ’73; Jane and Doyle Winters ’65; Mike Gouge ’73; Denise and A. B. Coleman ’72; Duane Beck ’60; Brian Horais ’71; and Mark Kohring ’73
1. Our chapter’s recognition gathering for the USNA Founder’s Day is scheduled for Friday, October 12, 2018 at 1830 at Gibby’s Restaurant at the Holiday Inn at the Cedar Bluff Road I-40 exit. We apologize for the late notice. Please RSVP ASAP to Rich Cataldi if you are planning to attend.
2. 2018 will be the 7th year to place remembrance wreaths at the USNA cemetery to honor those that have gone before us and remember their love for this country. The KOR Chapter will once again donate seven wreaths. If you are interested in making your own personal donation to the USNA cemetery or to some other location, the Wreaths Across America website is www.wreathsacrossamerica.org. The code for the USNA cemetery is MD0011.
3. Rich Cataldi announced that there is a need for Blue and Gold Officers (BGOs) especially from the younger alumni. We have lost two BGOs recently through retirement and moving out of our area. If you are interested, please contact Rich at email@example.com.
4. The USNA RV Chapter will be visiting locally at what is known as the Watts Bar 2018 Come Around (CA). They have over 20 couples signed up to attend. Please let Jim Connors ’74 (firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-475-7887) know if you need more information or if you would like to attend so he can add you to the list. The CA is from October 23-28, 2018 at Hornsby Hollow campground in Ten Mile, TN. (See POD below)
5. 2018 is coming to a close in a few short months which means it is time to think about our chapter officers beginning in 2019. If you have an interest in serving as one of our officers, particularly the Vice President, please contact Rich Cataldi or Mark Kohring.
6. Some of the spouses have requested to be added to the e-mail distribution list. If your “significant other” would like to be on that list, please send their e-mail address to Mark Kohring.
7. Note the following coming events on your calendar:
Saturday, November 3 – Navy football at Cincinnati, time TBA, tickets are $40. Saturday, December 8 – Army-Navy Football game party – Army hosting, kickoff at 1500 Sunday, December 9 – Navy basketball at Lipscomb University in Nashville
8. The next Knoxville-Oak Ridge lunch will be at Famous Dave’s restaurant at the Cedar Bluff I-40 exit at 1130 on Wednesday, November 7, 2018. Minutes from USNAAA KOR Chapter Luncheons