Events, News & More
Minutes from Army-Navy Football Game Party Halftime Meeting
December 8, 2018
Members present: Susie, Marc and Rich Cataldi ’69; Mackenzie, Cooper and Mitch Eisenberg’99; Linda and Harry Rucker ’73; Val and Ed Whiting ’57; Kent Chastain ’61; Dori and Buddy Holt ’73; Cathy and Brian Horais ’71; Pat and Bill Hlopak ’81; Jaqkee, Seth and Geoff deBeauclair ’87; Carol and Bob Milhiser ’64; Lynn Casity ’85; Steph and Kevin Hannan ’78; Pam and Rudy Escher ’78; Denise and A. B. Coleman ’72; Bob Schaller ’53; Chriss and Bill Glover ’62; Fernando
and Katherine Hernandez ’09; Eliza and Judd Conatser ’96; and Marsha and Mark Kohring ’73
1. The Army-Navy Football Game party at the home of Beth and Ken Tarcza, USMA ’85, was again, except for the final score, a joyous event. We had 38 participants (many of whom are in the photo on the next page) so we won the Attendance Award for the zillionth consecutive year against the Woops and everyone agreed that even though we sang first, our rendition of “Navy Blue and Gold” was better than the Army alma mater. Many, many thanks to the Tarcza’s for opening their home to over 60 guests. The food was excellent and camaraderie even better.
2. At halftime, the following were selected to serve the chapter as officers beginning January 1, 2019:
President – Mitch Eisenberg ’99
Vice President – Kristen Daniel ‘02
Secretary/Treasurer – Mark Kohring ’73
Networking Chairman – Rich Cataldi ’69
Trustees – Brian Horais ’71 and Rich Cataldi ’69
Many thanks to Rich Cataldi who has served us well as our President the last two years. Rich will continue as the Central Region representative on the USNA Alumni Association Board of Trustees.
3. Rich recently attended an event in Annapolis that was by invitation only to the BOT and chapter presidents. Information from this special gathering is available at www.usna.com/daringtolead.
4. The next Knoxville-Oak Ridge chapter lunch will be at Famous Dave’s restaurant at the Cedar Bluff I-40 exit at 1130 on Wednesday, January 9, 2019. Note that this will be on the second Wednesday due to New Year’s Day week.
Front row (L-R): Lynn Casity, Steph Hannan, Susie Cataldi
Second row (L-R): Bob Schaller, Kent Chastain, Harry Rucker, Buddy Holt
Third row (L-R): Mitch Eisenberg, Cooper Eisenberg, Mackenzie Eisenberg, Bill Hlopak, Ed Whiting, Cathy Horais, A. B. Coleman
Fourth row: Kevin Hannan, Rich Cataldi, Carol Milhiser, Katherine Hernandez, Marsha Kohring, Pat Hlopak, Denise Coleman, Rudy Escher
Back row (L-R): Judd Conatser, Bill Glover, Geoff deBeauclair, Bob Milhiser, Brian Horais, Mark Kohring
Minutes from USNA AA KOR Chapter Luncheon November 7, 2018 Famous Dave’s, Knoxville TN
Members present: Sue and Larry Townsend ’69; Susie and Rich Cataldi ’69; Mitch Eisenberg ’99; Phyllis and Tom Baer ‘64; Harry Rucker ’73; Ed Whiting ’57; Kent Chastain ’61; Buddy Holt ’73; Brian Horais ’71; and Mark Kohring ’73
1. The USNA RV Chapter met at the Watts Bar 2018 Come Around (CA) October 23-28 at Hornsby Hollow campground in Ten Mile, TN. They had over 20 couples in attendance, The weather was perfect and the fellowship was 4.0. Special thanks to Jim Connors ’74 for coordinating this event. A short video on the CA is attached to the cover e-mail.
2. 2018 is coming to a close in a few short months which means it is time to think about our chapter officers for 2019. If you have an interest in serving as one of our officers, particularly the Vice President, please contact Rich Cataldi or Mark Kohring. The election will be at halftime of the Army-Navy football game party. As of the date of these minutes, the slate for 2019 is as follows: President – Mitch Eisenberg ’99 Vice President – TBD Secretary/Treasurer – Mark Kohring ’73 Networking Chairman – Rich Cataldi ’69 Trustees – Brian Horais ’71 and Rich Cataldi ’69
3. Navy midshipmen will be in Knoxville for OPSINFO the week before Thanksgiving. They will be at the Cedar Bluff library from 1830 to 1945 on Monday, November 19th. Contact Rich Cataldi if you know someone who may be interested in talking with a midshipman. There will be an opportunity for potential USNA candidates to meet with and question a current Midshipman at the Cedar Bluff Library on Monday, 19 November, from 6:30 PM to 7:45 PM.
4. Buddy Holt ’73 was introduced as a first timer. Buddy served in the Marine Corps following graduation. In his civilian career, he started working for Corning and later other dinnerware companies. Later in his career, he worked for Kohler which is an after dinnerware corporation. He recently moved to the area and lives in Tellico Village. Great to have you aboard, Buddy.
5. The Arm-Navy Football Game party will be held at the home of Ken Tarcza USMA ’81. We understand that Ken is new to the area and works for DOE. His home is off of Choto Road. The Woops are developing a flyer for this year’s event and it will be sent out as soon as it is received. The game is on Saturday, December 8th. Kickoff is at 1500.
6. Navy basketball will play Lipscomb University in Nashville at 1330 CST on Sunday, December 9th. Tickets are available at Lipscomb Basketball. $15 for reserved seats and $10 for general admission. $5 for children 12 and under. Lipscomb is the ASUN champion from the 2017-18 season.
7. Due to the annual Army-Navy football game party, there will not be a luncheon the first week in December. The next Knoxville-Oak Ridge chapter lunch will be at Famous Dave’s restaurant at the Cedar Bluff I-40 exit at 1130 on Wednesday, January 9, 2019. Note that this will be on the second Wednesday due to New Year’s Day week.